- Strength training in rehabilitation, older adults, and general populations
- Physiology of exercise and rehabilitation in clinical populations (COPD, chronic diseases, and aging) and athletes
- Exercise testing and training methodology
- Functional effects of high-intensity interval training (HIIT) and clinical anaerobic testing
- Functional muscle physiology and rehabilitation
- Strength Training in Rehabilitation and Aging, High-intensity Clinical Exercise Training, Cardiopulmonary Exercise Testing, Exercise Rehabilitation
- Kowalchuk K, Butcher S. Eccentric Overload Flywheel Training in Older Adults. Journal of Functional Morphology and Kinesiology. 2019;4(3):61.
- Edington C, Greening C, Kmet N, Philipenko N, Purves L, Stevens J, Lanovaz J, Butcher S. The Effect of Set Up Position on EMG Amplitude, Lumbar Spine Kinetics, and Total Force Output During Maximal Isometric Conventional-Stance Deadlifts. Sports. 2018;6(3):90.
- Butcher SJ, Neyedly TJ, Horvey KJ, Benko CR. Do physiological measures predict selected CrossFit benchmark performance? Open Access Journal of Sports Medicine. 2015;6:241-247.
- Buckley S, Knapp K, Lackie A, Lewry C, Horvey K, Benko C, Trinh J, Butcher S. Multimodal high-intensity interval training increases muscle function and metabolic performance in females. 2015;40(11):1157-62.
- Butcher S, Yurach M, Heynen N, Pikaluk B, Horvey K, Clemens R, Marciniuk D. The physiologic effects of an acute bout of supramaximal high-intensity interval training compared with a continuous exercise bout in patents with COPD. Journal of Respiratory Medicine. 2013 Oct;Article ID 879695.
- Butcher S, Pikaluk B, Chura R, Walkner M, Farthing J, Marciniuk D. Associations between Isokinetic Muscle Strength, High-Level Functional Performance, and Physiological Parameters in Patients with Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. International Journal of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease. 2012: 7:537-542
- Butcher SJ, Jones RL. The impact of exercise training intensity on change in physiological function in patients with COPD. Sports Med. 2006:36(4);307-325