- The effect of exercise and education interventions to decrease fall and injury risk for older adults
- Sex and gender comparisons of fall-related risk factors
- Development and Impact of Fall Arrest Strategy Training (FAST) for fall and injury prevention
- Biomechanics of forward falls
- Knowledge translation and community engagement for fall prevention initiatives
View the full Fall Prevention Video Library
Click the infographic below to view the full version.
Balance Flow Yoga:
Preventing Falls and Injuries
Our research team recently completed a study called The Effect of Yoga on Decreasing the Risk of Fall-related Injury in Peri- and Post-menopausal Women.
The project determined the effect of 12 weeks of hatha yoga on fall risk factors such as balance, strength, mobility, confidence and incontinence and the ability to control landing and descent of a forward fall. Through focus group discussions, we also explored the participants’ perceived changes in overall health and well-being and some of the facilitators and challenges to participating.
Results are promising, showing significant improvements in fall risk factors and many perceived benefits and positive changes on quality of life and healthy aging.
Balance Flow Yoga developed for this project was designed by two physiotherapists on our team who are also yoga professionals by training. We created this video to share the essentials of the class with a broader audience.
This video demonstrates the key principles and practices of Balance Flow Yoga and also highlights the main themes emerging from the focus groups as depicted in the graphic below.
We invite you to view this video, and watch for future messages of training workshops and information sessions for leaders in healthcare, fitness, yoga and yoga therapy communities.
We hope this video will provide insight and guidance on ways to safely and effectively integrate evidence into yoga practice.
- Legg H, Spindor J, Dziendzielowski R, Sharkey S, Lanovaz J, Farthing J, Arnold C. The reliability and validity of novel clinical strength measures of the upper body in older adults. Hand Therapy 25 (4), 130-138
- Scoping Review of clinical practice guidelines for fall risk screening and assessment in older adults across the continuum of care. Can J Aging. 2020 Sep 28;1-18. doi: 10.1017/S0714980820000112.
- Arora T, Musselman KE, Lanovaz JL, Linassi G, Arnold C, Milosavljevic S, Oates A. Reactive balance responses to an unexpected slip perturbation in individuals with incomplete spinal cord injury. Clinical Biomechanics 78 105099
- Oates A, Lanovaz J, Arnold C, Fung J, Awdhan A. Adding light touch while walking in older adults: Biomechanical and neuromotor effects. Journal of Aging and Physical Activity. Accepted Dec 28, 2019.
- Arora T, Oates A, Lanovaz J, Linassi G, Milosavljevic S, Arnold C, Musselman K. Walking Stability during normal walking and its association with slip intensity among individuals with incomplete spinal cord injury. Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Journal (PM & R). 2019 Mar;11(3):270-277. Epub 2019 Feb 22.
- Oates A, Santoro R, Arnold C, Sibley K. The instruction of balance and its measurement in professional physical therapy education programs. Journal of Physical Therapy Education. 2018 Jul;32.
- Musselman K, Arnold C, Pujal C, Lynd K, Oosman S. Falls, mobility and physical activity after spinal cord injury: An exploratory study using photo-1 elicitation interviewing. Spinal Cord. Epub 2018 Apr.
- Crockett K, Farthing J, Basran J, Dal Bello-Haas V, Johnston G, Haver C, Arnold C. Changes in fall risk and functional status in women aged 50 years and older after distal radius fracture: A prospective 1-year follow-up study. Journal of Hand Therapy. 2019 Jan;32(1):17-24. Epub 2017 Nov. Oates A, Arnold C, Unger J, Fung J, Lanovaz J. The effect of light touch on balance control during overground walking in healthy young adults. Heliyon. 2018 Jan;3(12).
- Lattimer L, Lanovaz J, Farthing J, Kim S, Madill S, Robinovitch S, Arnold C. Biomechanical and physiological age differences in a simulated forward fall on outstretched hands in women. Clinical Biomechanics. 2018 Jan;27:102-108.
- Arnold C, Walker-Johnston J, Lanovaz J, Lattimer L. Does Fall Arrest Strategy Training (FAST) Added to a Fall Prevention Program Improve Balance, Strength and Agility in Older Women? – A Pilot Study. Physiotherapy Canada. 2017 Oct;69(4):323-332.
- Oates A, Arnold C, Van Ooteghem K, Oliver A, Yausie J, Loucks N, Bailey K, Lemieux J, Sibley K. Balance Assessment Practices of Saskatchewan Physiotherapists: A Brief Report of Survey Findings. Physiotherapy Canada. 2017 Aug;69(3):217-25.
- Crockett K, Kontulainen S, Farthing J, Bath B, Chilibeck P, Baxter-Jones A, Arnold C. Differences in function and fracture risk in postmenopausal women with and without a recent distal radial fracture. Journal of Aging and Physical Activity. 2018 Jan;26(1):136-145. Epub 2017 May.
- Lattimer L, Lanovaz J, Farthing J, Madill S, Kim S, Robinovitch S, Arnold C. Female Age Related Differences in Biomechanics and Muscle Activity during Descents on the Outstretched Arms. Journal of Aging and Physical Activity. 2017 Jan;17:1-27.
- Lattimer L, Lanovaz J, Farthing J, Madill S, Kim S, Arnold C. Upper limb and trunk muscle activation during an unexpected descent on the outstretched hands in young and older women. Journal of Electromyography Kinesiology. 2016 Nov;30:231-7.
- Nilson J, Mulder K, Schachter C, Wittmeier K, Lomotey R, Arnold C, Oosman S. Perceived confidence for injury self-management increases for young men with mild hemophilia with the use of a mobile app called HIRT? Hemophilia Practice Journal. 2016 Jul;22.
- Arnold C, Dal Bello-Haas V, Farthing J, Haver C, Crockett K, Johnston G, Basran J. Falls and Wrist Fracture: Relationship to Women’s Functional Status after Age 50. Canadian Journal on Aging. 2016 Jun;35(3):361-71.
- Frank-Wilson A, Farthing J, Chilibeck P, Arnold C, Olszynski W, Kontulainen S. Lower Leg Muscle Density is Independently Associated with Fall Status in Community-Dwelling Older Adults. Osteoporosis International. 2017 Jul;27(7):2231-40. Epub 2016 Feb.
- Crockett K, Arnold C, Chilibeck P, Farthing J, Johnson J, Baxter-Jones A, Bath B, Kontulainen S. Bone Strength and Muscle Properties in Postmenopausal Women With and without a Recent Distal Radial Fracture. 2015 Oct;26(10):2461-9. Epub 2015 May 23.
- Arnold C, Lanovaz J, Oates A, Craven B, Butcher S. The Effect of Adding Core Stability Training to a Standard Balance Exercise Program on Sit to Stand Performance in Older Adults: A Pilot Study. Journal of Aging and Physical Activity. 2015 Jan;23(1):95-102.
- Frank A, Farthing J, Chilibeck P, Arnold C, Olsynski W, Kontulainen S. Community-Dwelling Female Fallers Have Lower Muscle Density In Their Lower Legs Than Non-fallers: Evidence From the Saskatoon Canadian Multicentre Osteoporosis Study (CaMos) Cohort. Journal of Nutrition, Health and Aging. 2015 Jan;19(1):113-120.